Aligning an image search tool to user behavior.
- INTERACTION DESIGN
- VISUAL DESIGN
- USER FLOWS
Britannica’s classroom-safe image search engine, ImageQuest, was a fairly successful product for the company. However, the design hadn’t been revisited since its launch 4 years prior. In addition to a visual refresh, we also took advantage of some recent classroom observations about student gathering behavior – that they tend to collect resources quickly, then go back to review and discard if necessary.
I was responsible for creating flows for saving, citing, and downloading images, as well as more advanced functions, such as creating image albums. This was a good example of a project where I collaborated quite a bit with our development team to work out what was possible in the realm of interaction design. Working directly with the developers, I identified pieces in the workflow that needed some help with interaction, using existing sites as examples. We worked to balance relatively complex functions with the “lightness” of the experience of browsing visually engaging content.
Since the redesign, user feedback has been positive, especially in how quickly the new tools help students rapidly add images to their own albums. Viewing details, citing, and downloading can all be done without leaving the search results page.